Since my
May babies have their birthdays 2 weeks apart, I thought it would be easier to have their well-child check-ups together. I mean, how bad can it be, right?!
Not just bad. Traumatizing.
It started out as a beautiful (though a bit windy) of a morning. We all ate a delicious breakfast of cold cereal (per request) and got ready for the day.
I even had enough time to do braids in Eliza's hair, which really says something that she sat long enough to let me...with the help of
Elmo's World .
They eagerly got in the car while we listened to naughty songs (their favorite is "You Can't Say Psbpsbpsbpsbpsb on the Radio")

We arrived still in good spirits. Our doctor has nautical-themed rooms, each with their own fish tank that REALLY keeps the kiddies entertained. We were in the pirate room, much to Seth's delight!
They're both in the 97th percentile for height, and above average for weight (Eliza 75th and Seth 94th), which didn't really surprise me since I'm nearly 5'9" and Chris is 6'3."

Seth's shirt has, "Mom's Main Squeeze" and with face a like that, can you blame me?! As usual, Eliza didn't want to deal with paparazzi as we waited to see the doctor.

The one pose I could get out of her semi-looking towards the camera.
Doc Baker making sure all's well. He's an amazing doctor that is really personable with the kids and even looked at fish with Eliza while I asked him questions.
No matter what stage the kiddies are in, he's fantastic with them. Doc Baker sweetly cuddles and kisses newborns, is patient with sad infants and gets the biggest kick out of toddlers.
He's incredibly informed and educated, yet explains things in an easy to understand way. More than anything, he puts his trust in us as the parents to know if something is wrong and respects our concerns.
That said, Doc Baker also admits that he doesn't like to be in the room when vaccinations are administered. I asked him why one time when Seth was a newborn, and he said, "I'm a wuss. I don't want the kids to hate me."
???????
What does THAT mean? Well, I've gotten nearly all of their vaccinations from his office in the past, and it hasn't been a big deal. They've never had any negative reactions and have always remained healthy because of them. Yeah, they get a bit sad, but they're over it before we even leave the office. So, bringing both the kids up to date with their vaccinations wasn't a novice idea for me.
Getting BOTH of them vaccinated right after the other with multiple shots WAS.
The nurse came in with lots of needles, explaining what they were all for. I knew it's what needed to be done and they won't have to get anymore for awhile, so I had Seth get his first since Eliza's a lot tougher (it's true!).
My children also have very healthy lungs, did I mention that?
Well, after a few minutes that felt like hours of great weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, they both had dum dum suckers and tear-streaked faces. I couldn't bear to get pictures of that, getting emotional myself when Eliza started to cry and Seth called out, "It's OK, Eliza, I know it hurts" as his tears started back up and gave her hugs after she got off the table. He has such a tender heart!
Once we left the room and headed towards the front desk where the HUGE fish tank was, the shots were all but forgotten as they pointed out new fishies and boats. I was still traumatized though, so I felt that they needed a reward for having the worse mom in the world allow them so many vaccinations in one time.
They had a nice warm bath that night to ease their sore legs, took a bit of children's ibuprofen and were off to bed that night after we read stories and said our prayers.
As for me, I took my own bath and an extra session of hypnobabies to get over the trauma of both of them so sad. At least I officially know the reason behind why they grow out of clothes so quickly!
1 comment:
Happy meals can cure all.
The twins got there work done together as well--stereo hollering. Well at least they rushed us out as quickly as possible.
Post a Comment