
When I first think of hypnosis, I think of all the fun hypnotist shows I've been to that makes my sides hurt from laughing so much at silly antics.
So, when I first heard of Hypnobabies, I thought, "HUH?!" You put a bunch of babies on stage and hypnotize them?! Weird....
And then I REALLY started to research, understand, and ask more informed questions about this pregnancy program.
There's a whole section on YouTube , but the following video clip in particular does a great job clearing up that "stage antics" mentality:
If anything, I've found it to be very soothing and calming to listen to during pregnancy. My biggest struggle is finding enough quiet, uninterrupted time to fully utilize the CDs in a house with two VERY engergetic children, but the home-study course has been informative and an easy read. Night time has become my new best friend!
So why use Hypnobabies with this third pregnancy?
So, when I first heard of Hypnobabies, I thought, "HUH?!" You put a bunch of babies on stage and hypnotize them?! Weird....
And then I REALLY started to research, understand, and ask more informed questions about this pregnancy program.
There's a whole section on YouTube , but the following video clip in particular does a great job clearing up that "stage antics" mentality:
If anything, I've found it to be very soothing and calming to listen to during pregnancy. My biggest struggle is finding enough quiet, uninterrupted time to fully utilize the CDs in a house with two VERY engergetic children, but the home-study course has been informative and an easy read. Night time has become my new best friend!
So why use Hypnobabies with this third pregnancy?
I know I can handle it.
I've always been a bit embarrassed to admit that I don't have birthing horror stories. My last two birthing times (labor and delivery) were relatively easy; both babies came on their own, exactly three weeks to the day before their projected due date, Seth at 7 lbs 6 oz and Eliza at 6 lbs 14 oz.
My pregnancies have always been low risk, both babies were born extremely healthy and my physical recovery was relatively quick and without complications. Textbook to the point of falling asleep because it was all so "boring."
I felt from the beginning that my body could do more than I allowed it to with both birthing times, but I was just programmed with the notion that epidurals are a must and childbirth is the most painful feeling out there.
I loved my epidurals (especially the second time because I was able to nap before pushing my princess out!), but I still felt like I could handle the discomfort because I was SO excited to see my newborn that had been kicking me for the past few months; I wasn't concentrated on the pain!
Now I feel like I'm paying attention to my body more. I've been really stressed with this pregnancy for a number of hormonal reasons, but Hypnobabies has calmed me down significantly and given me an excited outlook on the upcoming birth of our third child.
Chris still isn't convinced that I'm biting off more than I can chew by choosing to go a more natural route, but it's because he doesn't like to see me hurting and knows how "horrible" childbirth is supposed to be.
One of the first things Hypnobabies has taught me is the power of positive thinking; if I think of giving birth as the joyous event it always has been, that's what I'm going to focus on. Not the cramping, swelling, aching, screaming that has become so commonplace. What good does that really do anybody, anyway, other than for entertainment purposes to all those NOT experiencing it?
Perhaps I would feel differently if I actually HAD gone through some of the horror that other moms have had in the past, but this is the body I've been given and I'm going to pay attention to what I am capable of.
And who knows? Maybe once my pressure waves (contractions) start to come and my water breaks, I'll be wishing for that epidural again. I trust my body and know that if women have been able to give birth naturally for so many thousands of years, so can I. It's a pretty empowering feeling knowing what I'm capable of!
Here's what I'm picturing my birthing day to be like (only I'll have Chris holding my hand and giving my cues):
Well, I'm off to listen to another session of Hypnobabies!


1 comment:
Good for you for trying something new! Thanks for linking to my blog and sharing my birth video! :)
Post a Comment