Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fruit, Glorious Fruit!

Sidenote: I know that I posted on the previous blog about the April Fool's Day joke played on us, but as I was making a post about it, it really wasn't very funny anymore.

It was simply a freak snowstorm that we got after a previously beautiful sunshiney day, but then we got a blizzard on Monday that cancelled school for the first time this year (and it takes a lot to cancel school around here), so that wasn't so clever anymore.

I also pretended a round piece of chocolate on the floor was actually a little doodle that had flung out of Eliza's diaper that I made Chris pick up. But, I didn't execute the prank very well and he didn't think it was very funny since he was getting into police mode for training. Oh, well.

Sorry for the build-up, so let's talk some fruit, shall we?!




After yet another Bountiful Basket, I was able to make a delicious dessert for Easter dinner with some fellow cop families.


I used my family's sugar cookie recipe for the crust, then a cream cheese and whipped cream frosting. I added orange zest to both, then had fun with the fruit!





With the exception of canned mandarin oranges (I didn't want to section the tangelos I got), all the fruit's from my awesome Basket I get every few weeks: kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and fresh pineapple.
We had corn on the cob for dinner a few days ago (which the kiddies LOVED) and smoothies for breakfast this morning. It's so fun planning a meal around the afforable yet fresh produce, and it's always SO delicious!
Now to make something scrumptious from the broccoli that the kiddies will also eat. Chris loves the small green shubbery, but I usually have to disguise it in order for the kiddies to partake.
Maybe they think they're eating trees and know that we don't normally do that? Not sure, but I'll figure something out!

No comments: