Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Broken Promise

I've been wearing this ring on my finger since Chris gave it to me during our first Christmas nearly 10 years ago.




About a week ago I discovered this:




My black hills gold promise ring lost one of its leaves! Chris was sad but simply stated, "Well, looks like I know what I should get you for Christmas this year."

The thing is, it's not the ring that means the most to me; it's the message behind it when he gave it to me all those years ago.

I can't stand looking at the gap from where the leaf should be, but I also don't have the heart to take it off and put it in my jewelry box before something else happens to it.

Have you ever lost something sentimental? It's almost like a part of the memory is gone with it, but maybe that's just pregnant brain taking over...

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Oh so sad! I lost the engagement ring Daniel gave me like a week before the wedding in a friend's car! We found it few months after, but still... It was his Granny's ring with 7 diamonds on it. But I have it now. Huh.

Momma Val said...

Take it to a good jeweler. They can maybe add a new one or place a stone there for you. It's not the same as when you got it BUT, it would definitely be a symbol of how your relationship too has a few imperfections and dents, etc. but has taken some knocks and stood the test of time. That's the way I look at it anyway. Just ask hubs to bring it to a jeweler and get it fixed and possibly upgraded. Maybe they'll be able to stick a diamond in there? or your birthstone?

MrsMonicaLB said...

aww I feel ya,I lost my first wedding band, how or where,I have no idea.I am always taking off my rings for everything,to wash my hands,lotion up,even to sleep-one day my ring just up and disappeared,honestly I think someone stole it but I cant b sure so oh well, the hubs did get me a new one but its not the same!
Momma V has great suggestions.