Even the sweet requests of "won't you snuggle with me?" didn't tear away at my resolve to put him to bed. Besides, it's all just a ruse to get out of going to sleep, and the sweeter he sounds, the more I know he's trying to get out of something (still works on his Daddy, though!).
So, back to bed I went, putting hand cream on and continuing where I left off in A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott (you know, Little Women). Since Chris had work the next day, our compromise of reading by flashlight instead of bed lamp resumed.
Just as he was falling asleep, I jumped spastically in bed as I discovered two little eyes looking at me from above my book.
"SETH!"
I shrieked like a banshee, then started laughing uncontrollably as relief flooded over me.
Chris was disorientedly looking around, so I tried to get out of bed quietly, still laughing heartily as I grabbed Seth's hand and brought him back to his room.
"You make me laugh, Mama!" Seth stated as I tucked him back into bed, still chuckling.
"So do you, sweetheart."
"Will you snuggle with me for one minute?"
Nice try. I gave him a hug and kiss, then told him I'd see him in the morning and he could snuggle with me then since we both take a while to wake up in the morning.


3 comments:
The opening my eyes and seeing other eyes staring at me still freaks me out! I'm surprised you didn't drop the flashlight!
Booklights...they're the coolest! I have one that's flat and illuminates the page. It worked perfect for not just allowing sleeping spouses to sleep but also co-sleeping babies...
how cute he is!my kids do that too,but they are way bigger and come crawling into the room to scare me on purpose!
I read every night also but I have a lamp I put on my floor next to my bed and then I place a black sock on top to not disturb the dh.I wish someone would invent a lamp that just turned off when I closed my eyes that way I wouldnt have to lean over to switch mine off!
It is a wonder why we parents are always so sleepy--fun story.
Our younger ones have been good about not sneaking out to find mom and dad without a good reason--the older boy use to do stuff like you described to us all the time.
Post a Comment