Sunday, January 3, 2010

Feeling the Need to Update

Only I don't know what I want to talk about! So, here goes on the first thing that's come to mind.


I've been trying to take it easy the last few days after overdoing it on Friday taking down Christmas decorations (it looks so bare now!), carting loads of laundry down the stairs and chasing the ever constant and energized kiddies. This has led me to finish my recent book from my beloved local library:



From one of my favorite authors of all time: Shannon Hale. She's a recent addition to my list of faves, but everything I've read from her I can't put down. As in, the housework suffers, the kids watch one or two too many movies, and dinner is late.

The last two MUST READS I read since Thanksgiving:
Which was suprisingly awesome as it focused on the intricacies of different relationships one person can have, and the different forms of love within those relationships. I literally laughed and cried while reading this, and I don't think it was solely because of pregnancy hormones (though they most likely enhanced the emotions).

OK, if you like ANYTHING from Jane Austen this is an absolute must read. It's hilarious! I laughed on pretty much every page and I actually hugged the book towards the end because I loved it so much (it's true, but don't tell Chris. He absolutely loathes anything Jane Austen).

I guess it's because I can't get enough of Pride and Prejudice, which is the main book that Hale focuses on in her novel above. More specifically, the A&E movie version of the book, which I currently have on my nightstand from Chris's last set of nights.


In fact, I'm such a fan of the story that I also had this version below on my night stand too!


Disclaimer: I honestly had NO clue that I had so many "versions" of Pride and Prejudice in such close proximity all at once until I started reading the book, set it down one night to turn off the light, then discovered the DVD cases under the book. I didn't even think about the connection; I was just following the mood I was in...and getting my girly fix while Chris was working. ;)


Well, back to my books. I tend to get pretty caught up in the reading world (which Chris can firmly attest to!). I've just been introduced to Hunger Games which really caught me up with the sci-fi world Suzanne Collins created. I'm on hold for the sequel, Catching Fire to come available to me from the library and I hope I can stand the wait.
Uh-oh. What am I going to read tonight?! I may have to pull a favorite from the bookshelf...

4 comments:

mrs. fuzz said...

There are too many books on my list to read!! Now I'll have to add another one. I actually didn't enjoy Austenland! Well, I did until the end. I thought that the end was too rushed!! It seemed like she was in a hurry to finish it up or something. I can't quite put my finger on the prob I found with it, but something kind of bugged me. .

There are so many Jane Austen spin off books that I am dying to read.

Natalie said...

I know what you mean about the ending feeling a bit rushed, but I was getting the biggest kick out of it that I wanted to rush right along with it, so I didn't mind it.

You'll have to let me know when you've found an Austen spin-off you liked!

Slamdunk said...

Glad you are getting some reading in. The lousy winter weather here is conducive to books-then I can complain about not having time to read in the summer.

Mandi said...

I'm terrible reader, I'll admit it. But I love love love Pride and Prejudice!! It's the best love novel there is. Daniel likes it actually too! And I love the BBC 1995 version (apparently called A&E in USA). The whole thing is just so timeless, and funny. Have you seen the mormon version, by the way?