Chris's biggest concern of doing Bountiful Baskets (which was a liable one, I grant him that) was that we don't know exactly what we're getting and it could go bad before we use it. I tried to prove to him earlier this week that I'll use what we get by finally doing something with all the oranges we had received from Christmas.
So, I grated a whole bunch of orange zest which I've frozen to sprinkle on things (we'll be having rice krispy treats for dessert tonight with orange zest on top!), then I squeezed all of them for juice, which took FOREVER and only resulted in, like, 2 cups from over 15 oranges, so I've hoarded that for myself since the kiddies won't appreciate all that hard work.
Lastly, I soaked the remainder of the orange peel in vinegar, put a little sugar in with it and cooked it in the crock pot for a day until the vinegar smell got too strong. The result?
Orange-infused vinegar that I'll put on salads! I now feel so resourceful (and who doesn't love the smell of fresh oranges in the house?) that I felt completely thrilled to get my basket Saturday, knowing I'd use the produce.
And oh, boy, will I! (Note: I pulled the pics below up on the internet)

Right when I got home, I cut up one of the bosc pears and had some colby jack cheese sticks with it (a lovely fruit and cheese platter like above would've been nice, especially brie, but I worked with what I had), enjoying the fresh snack that I saved so much money on!
Such as:
Fajitas with the orange peppers and red onions,
maybe this Greek dish with the spaghetti squash,
and onion soup from all the onions I now have.
Yum! On to some fresh cooking!


4 comments:
THats awesome! So is that something withint your neighborhood? or area?
How fun is that! You totally made me hungry by the way.....
We ate out spaghetti squash last night. I just cooked it according to the directions and we just ate it with butter and salt and pepper. It was sooooo good.
After following your links, it looks like an interesting program and a great way to save some money.
wow and yum is right!you did some great things with your share.going to jump over to your food blog and see what you got going on over there.
Post a Comment