Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Some Quality Time, Courtesy of Mr. Rogers

I gave the kids an early bath tonight which I then regretted. Our nightly routine after the bath is donning the jammies, toothbrushing, some songs or stories and then bed, but it was too early for the last part.

So, after we put on the jammies I decided to go on-line and find some kiddy websites they would like. I came across http://pbskids.org/ and clicked on Mr. Rogers.

Eliza was in one of her many mischievious moods, only had a small nap earlier in the day, so she let me know she needed to go to bed over an hour earlier tonight. The monkey.



So, after putting her to bed, Seth and I watched little video clips from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, and I tell you what, the nostalgic feeling I got while watching him was just what I needed.

It was Seth's first experience meeting his "neighbor" but the website had such a great layout that he was able to click on different clips all by himself. We learned how fortune cookies were made, listened to Yo Yo Ma on the cello, and visited the pediatrician (now he wants to go have an appointment of his own).

It was so nice to spend some quality time with my Bubba while we ate a little Christmas candy I hoarded away.

I know that making these one on one times with the kids is just going to get harder as the third addition arrives, so it was truly a memory worth making, all thanks to Mr. Rogers.

Do you have any Mr. Roger's Neighborhood memories? I always loved when he fed his fish.



2 comments:

MrsMonicaLB said...

Mr Rogers was so mellow,I enjoyed watching him put on his tennis and sweater,talking so calmly.
the grandkids like that dora girl.

Slamdunk said...

My wife met Mr. Rogers before he passed away. The show was simple and educational--I remember watching it all the time as a child.

A few years ago, it was still aired on our PBS affiliate (not sure if it is still), but my son and I used to have the sweater challenge by trying to guess what color sweater Mr. R. would pull from the closet this episode.