Saturday, May 23, 2009

It's amazing what a new coat of paint will do!

Welcome to the Martin's cottage kitchen!!!!!

Natalie Note: I actually got this idea to show off a room in my home from here, a fellow police wife that is a kindred spirit to me in North Carolina. She has an adorable house!

You are now entering from the front room. In the background you can barely see the stairwell that goes down to the basement (I have projects for even that space, but I digress).

Feel free to hang your keys up and stay awhile. We don't have a land-line, so this telephone nook is a great place to put mail, but I wanted to enjoy the crisp, fresh look before making a mess of it. We discovered this in the front room while in the middle of the painting project. When I asked Seth who put that there, he very proudly pointed at himself and said, "Me! I help, Mama." How can you get mad at that?! I have some touch-ups to do in there anyways, so no worries.Our cozy little dining nook. Alas, we never use it because it's extremely inconvenient to have a round table in a square place, so I want to put a breakfast nook there instead. (See below) The only difference would be that I want to make the built in L-shaped bench with hinged tops so I can store stuff inside and then put thickly-padded cushions and pillows on top for ultimate comfort and adorability. Here's a close-up of how awesome the wall color goes with the window treatment and shelf. I'm still waiting for better lighting to show you how adorable the window treatments look with the paint color, so I'll get those up as soon as the light permits!



The rest of the kitchen is just the white cabinets and appliances, and I want to get newer (and matching) pieces, plus redo the base cabinets because I have absolutely NO storage for utensils, washcloths and hotpads, etc...


That's most likely going to be next year's home improvement, so we'll both have to wait until then for another post about this room of the house.




I hope you enjoyed your little visit into my kitchen. I'll be grilling corn and baking chicken for a pleasant Memorial Day weekend. Yum!

3 comments:

mrs. fuzz said...

ooo, I love that color! It's nice and refreshing! I like the breakfast nook idea with the bench. I've always wanted one of those. But I need a nook first.

Somer said...

Looks great! The color choice is awesome. And I love the breakfast nook idea too, remodeling is so fun!

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

CUTE!! Love the color!! and that will be so cute! (the breakfast nook)