Sunday, December 20, 2009

Life After 3D

For the first time in my life, I went to a 3-D movie as an early birthday present with my mom. Some of my brothers were in the audience as well, but they had cooler friends to sit with then their boring mom and weird sister, but the experience was just as neat, wherever the location in the theatre.



The movie? Avatar.



The reaction? Life altering.


First, let me state that I wasn't too excited to see this particular movie because I really wanted to see A Christmas Carol in 3D, but our theater didn't offer that option. My brother Eric saw the midnight showing of it and wouldn't stop talking about it, stating that he now wants to see it in 3D.

Now, Eric's never been one of the gift of gab, so for him to go on and on about a movie, I decided it would be fine. Boy, was THAT an understatement!

Some scenes literally felt as if we were right there sharing in the conversation, while others I wanted to swat away at the bugs. I almost started to cry with some of the characters during some touching scenes, but I blame that on the pregnancy hormones. All I can say is that my acrophobia felt very real and my senses were whacked out because my smell wanted to get in on the action from the screen!

Right before the official movie previews begin to show, they had a slightly fuzzy slide stating for the audience to put on their glasses. We could hear throughout the theater as soon as people did because the glasses in the image popped out on the screens. And then, the previews were in 3-D! Isn't that crazy?!

After the movie (which had an incredibly well thought out plot as well as visually mind-blowing CGI) the theater audience clapped. Clapped!

We walked out of the theater with a few last-minute Christmas shopping in mind, and Mom stated that she needed to take a few minutes to come back to the real world. For nearly an hour afterward, everthing we looked at seemed 2D and drab after our 3D experience, so I say this:

If you haven't been to a 3D movie, it's worth the extra few bucks for the glasses. If you HAVE seen one, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The only problem now for me is that I don't know if I can go see a movie in the theater again unless it's in 3D. It was that amazing.


One of the best early birthday gifts I could have received, all because I had NO clue what I was going to experience!

1 comment:

Slamdunk said...

Sounds fun--I was waiting to see how the movie reviews were.

It has been a few years since we have done the 3-D movie thing--I can't remember which one.