Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas List, Part II

Okey, dokey! Here's the second portion of my Christmas List:



13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Christmas gifts are always on my mind whenever I go shopping because I'm all for the good deals, so I don't really know how to answer this one! It's usually not until the latter part of fall that I feel that I've analyzed most of the deals and have decided to finally purchase items, though.



14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Almost every year. Isn't that what white elephant gifts are all about?!


15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? OK, I REALLY love good food and I have been blessed with multi-generational excellent cooks through the years, so I have to break it down according to meals:



  • Breakfast: Swedish tea ring (family tradition, and it just doesn't seem like Christmas morning without it) with a quiche

  • Lunch: honey-glazed ham with scalloped or sr. cream potatoes (and everything else for the big feast)

  • Snacking/Appetizers: my 3-ingredient cheeseball with crackers, eggnog, wassail, homemade hot cocoa, sweet chex mix

  • Dinner: Depending on with whom and if it's Christmas Eve or Christmas day, but I love having sub sandwiches of left-over meats and cheeses with cider

16. Lights on the tree? Uh, how is it a Christmas tree otherwise?! I'd never do real candles even though I love the nostalgic charm (but can you say fire hazard!) and I think white lights are the prettiest because they remind me of stars. Especially if they're twinkly.



17. Favorite Christmas song? All of them! OK, maybe not, but I LOVE Handel's Messiah, Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, pretty much anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (my baby brother went to their concert the day before Thanksgiving with 2nd row seats. I hate him a little for that, but he thoroughly enjoyed himself so I won't dwell), the kiddy Christmas songs from elementary school, etc...



18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Growing up we would spend every other year in northern California with my grandparents, but now that I have my own family (and both sides are so close) we stay home and then travel to the different homes at different parts of the day.



19.Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Of course!



20. Angel on the tree top or a star? This year it's an angel that my mom made decades ago and needed its wooden wings glued back on. Every year my tree topper (or lack therof) is different, and not necessarily out of choice.



21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? It use to be one on Christmas Eve, but Chris never did that so that tradition kind of fizzled out.



22.Most annoying thing about this time of the year? The crazies. I love the music, but it can get over-played, especially if it's "live" in the grocery store and extremely loud in a karaoke kind of way. I also think it's WAY over-commercialized, and feel sad that the focus has been so taken away from Christ's birth as well as the spirit of giving and spending time with family.



23. Favorite ornament theme or color?



24. Favorite thing for Christmas dinner? See #15's lunch and dinner answer (depending on what one would call "dinner" while others could call it "lunch" or "supper."



25. What do you want for Christmas this year? My two front teeth! Just kidding. I love pampering gifts and also really need a new cell phone (NEVER order a cell phone off of e-bay!). I also feel that having a full "me-day" is a fantastic gift, especially if it was for a full 24 hours!



Now it's your turn. Go ahead and fill out your own answers and post on your blog!

1 comment:

Slamdunk said...

It is the same way here as your #21. The Mrs. family always opened one Christmas Eve present, while we only did that a time or two when we were visiting relatives. In contrast, they have converted me so the kids each open a gift then.

The sub sandwiches and cider sound like a great mix for Christmas Eve dinner.