Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Going to the temple through yoga poses

One of the highlights of every Paul Reunion is the opportunity to do yoga with Vicky, my cousin through marriage to Bruce Paul. She's a yoga instructor in Chicago, and AMAZING at her stuff!
Unbeknownst to me, Chris got back from golf right in the middle of our outdoor yoga session and decided to snap a few pictures:


I'm not really sure what pose we were doing here, but we had nearly every age in attendance, from early teens to some well into their 70s (THAT was WAY impressive to see!)


Seriously one of my favorite poses of all time: child pose. We usually do it when coming out of a super-pretzel pose (NOT the real name) and allows our mind and body to relax in the moment.

Chris later asked me why I liked yoga so much, and this is what I told him:

It gives me peace of mind and allows me to be in the moment. It disciplines me to not worry about outside distractions and focus on my body. My body is a temple and yoga allows me to discover all of the wonders that it can do. Yoga isn't about flexibility. It's about coming out of limiting mindset that helps to realize there's so much I can do. It reminds me of when I attend the temple.

Namaste!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I have always liked the idea of yoga. You make it sound even more peaceful than I'd thought.

Because of Love said...

I did yoga yesterday at a friend's house. It was fun. All 3 of our kids (one 4yr old and two 2yr olds) were doing it with us! You are right about it being for everyone.