Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down!

My kids did this little dance last week (sorry that it's sideways...I'm still figuring out my phone and don't know how to rotate the image after doing some troubleshooting).

I thought it was way cute, especially since they had dressed themselves (like Eliza's fuzzy head and necklace over jammies?) but then I started thinking about the song's origins (check out the contents, #2).

I sang it as a nursery rhyme only to find out as a wise high schooler that it was really about the plague. I believed this until I started looking at all the variations of the song, and now I don't know what to think.

One thing I do know, however, is that shortly after the kiddies sang this song (over and over again while I was making breakfast), we all caught colds. I got the worst of it and still have a voice that sounds like I've been smoking steadily for the last 20+ years, but since cigarette smoke makes me want to vomit, that's completely inaccurate.

Just like the plague interpretation of the nursery rhyme. What nursery rhyme's have you known since childhood only to find out they have some dark meaning? Would if the "dark meaning" was later deemed inaccurate?

Stew over that for a bit while I go down some vitamins and juice. Stupid cold.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Well, I don't know if it's "nursery rhyme" but there's this one really beautiful lullaby song in Finland, that actually is a lullaby that was suing to dead children or to babies that the mother killed... And that there actually was a whole genre of lullabies for children that the mother or the parents had to kill because of famine, poverty, being born outside of marriage...

That's kind of a dark side of Finnish history. Nowadays it's just played in children funerals, though.

But I love playing that song on piano.