Saturday, October 17, 2009

Autumnal Smells



I just love the crisp smells of Autumn. The harvested apples, the pumpkin patch fields, the dried leaves, and fall-themed candles that exude golden warmth. The crispness in the air as jackets cover tanned-arms (not necessarily mine!) gives a yellow light to the growing season to pause before winter sets in.




True, Idaho doesn't get much of an autumn as it tends to go straight from summer (which is never long enough) to winter. One day it's a balmy Indian Summer day and the next we wake up to snow, wind, and frost with our predictably unpredictable weather.

However, that doesn't stop me from liking the season, even if it's only a week or so long here. I think it's the memory of the smells from past autumns that always bring back memories of raking leaves, trick-or-treating, or harvesting before the frost.

And of course, the smells wafting from the kitchen are my MOST favorite! I get into cozy-cozy mode when I contemplate my menus as I look out the window at the cold. I love the smell of baking bread and simmering stews which add warmth to the whole house, literally and figuratively.
I sometimes get a little too creative with my menu items though (just ask the menfolk in the family). However, my Harvest Stew/Back-to-School Soup/Autumn Soup (couldn't decide on a name as I kept adding stuff to it) turned out great (I mentioned it in my Fall Decor post). I can't really remember all that I put into it, but feel free to go to my shared food blog, The Recipe Retreat to get the "recipe" of what I could remember. :)



Not a picture of my soup, but you get the idea (we ate it all before I took a picture of it, but it was very colorful!)

What's a meal without a little cider and doughnuts afterwards?



I just want to curl up in a blanket, sip my cider and nibble my doughnut while reading a good book...which won't happen until the kiddies are asleep or visiting grandparents. Hmmm...

What are some of your favorite smells from Autumn? I'd love to hear about them...

4 comments:

Momma Val said...

I had a smell flashback the other day when we drove out to the country to visit the apple farm. I smelled burning leaves and it reminded me of childhood falls when they still permitted leave burning. I also love the smell of spiced cider, pumpkin pie, and yes that fallen leaf smell is a good one too. We also bought fresh and warm apple cider donuts at the apple farm with cinnamon and (granulated) sugar coating. Oh Lord, those are right from heaven, yes indeedy :)

MrsMonicaLB said...

I like the smell of our central heater when it first goes on,is that weird?I also love the smell of cinnamon,pumpkin pie,wood burning in fireplaces and dewey foggy mornings,makes it feel like fall.
I love your pics they are very Autumny,colorful.The cider and doughnuts look yummy.
Right now we are having 80 degree weather so it doesnt feel very Autumn but with your post I can pretend!LOL

MrsMonicaLB said...

omg I love your music!!!!

Mandi said...

I love those crisp autumn days too! Here probably the smells are different but the air in the morning when it has been below freezing during the night, and the smell of glögi which is kind of like apple cider but it's not.