Friday, September 25, 2009

My Rad 80's Hair


Believe me, this is a post you do NOT want to miss!

As I was looking through old pictures to scan for reunions, etc... I couldn't stop laughing at the morphing my head has had in the last 20+ years. It probably didn't help that it was super late at night while I was scanning.

Everyone that has known me since I was in diapers knows how long it took my hair to grow. Mom pierced my ears as a toddler because she was tired of being told "What a cute little boy you have!"


Ear piercing actually helped to stimulate hair growth, I guess, because it grew rapidly after that, in which bows would actually stay in my hair and cute bobs came to be.

But alas, straight hair was short-lived while in my youth.

I was also blessed enough to be a child of the 80s, so any cute potential that my hair had was doomed to perms and big bangs. Observe:




It's not the 80s unless you also throw in neon paint splatters to go with the big hair.


You can also see the consumer trends of the decade that went with my awesome fro. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles couldn't even dent my 'do! And yes, you DO get to see the spider shades again! My proof picture that I was, indeed, a nautral redhead at one point in my life. Doesn't Eric look cute though?!

After a camping trip to my Grandpa's Range, I think it took multiple washings to get all the gunk out of my hair because of its snarly awesomeness. And yes, my cousin Kayla IS giving the one-fingered salute.


Even super fluffy coats couldn't distract the eye from the size of the hair!

And now you know where (or who, I should say) I got it from

So when's big hair totally cool? When a punk rocker and in the presence of skeletons and vampires.

What's a beautiful view in Portland without some big hair to look at first?

No, this picture isn't horrible, but unicorns AND big hair?! Honestly.
Steady yourself, here's where it gets REALLY bad:

Curley cues began getting minds of their own like the curl in the middle of my forehead (and that's Nathan sleeping in the background with a haircut Matt gave him right before family pictures, but I digress) Let's refocus on the epitome of the decade.

What's the 80s without MacGyver?!
As cool as MacGyver's mullet was, it REALLY doesn't work on school girls
See?! Well, how's about we keep the outfit and do something different with the hair? Side ponytail, perhaps?
Nope. Proof that side ponytails should never have been invented. But getting a picture next to giant crayons? Priceless.

At least birthdays mean a person can do (or look like) whatever they want. Check out my 7th birthday, and yes, Ryan's marveling over the wonder of my big hair instead of watching me blow out my candles.

Just look at the cute boy hair Matt had! Now both Ryan and Matt have none... Hmm. I sense something terribly ironic on the tip of my tongue right now...


Actually, what's ironic is that I was in church when this picture was taken.

Now, for the finale!

Behold, the answer to a decade of awkward stage issues and the knowledge you now have that your hair can NEVER look as bad as mine did:





TA-DAAAAAA!!!!

I DARE you to disagree! Oh, and you'll have to prove it in a post of your own. Yeah, I thought so.

5 comments:

Andrew and Marie Harris said...

Awesome Post!!! I can't stop laughing.

Scott and Stacia said...

I really like this post. I think we have all had our share of bad hair styles. It really took me back into the 80's-Thanks :)
You look so much the same person. I really think you look cute in the picture with the striped shirt (the second picture of the post). I however love the mullet haircut.

Slamdunk said...

Great stuff--I love the 80s until I look at pics of myself with hair and wonder what happened.

Mandi said...

You are such a funny blogger! This post was awesome, I loved the picture with the huge crayons. Phew, it made me feel relieved that I was always thought to be a boy because of my parents cut my hair short. Even that is better than a Magyver molet. Hih.

Jamie said...

LOL! ...I don't even know what to say....