Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Decade Later...

I had the opportunity to see what my graduating class from Rigby High School made of themselves. Well, at least some of them since only about 1/3 showed up at the noon picnic and the same at the dinner that evening. Still, we had doctors (well, one doctor and a few with their masters), lawyers, interior designers, engineers, home business owners, therapists, teachers, stay at home moms and renewed friendships.

The whole reason I wanted to go to my high school reunion was so I could see familiar faces from the past and how much they've changed since we graduated. Goal accomplished. I wasn't super intimidated by cliques or felt like a wall-flower. Another goal accomplished since I was kind of a nerdy bookworm in high school.
It was just SO fun to see families from those that I went to school with (some since kindergarten!)Seth insisted on taking some pictures, but this is as close as he got.

A lot of those that I graduated with were thrown my my hair color since it wasn't as red in school. I didn't start dyeing my hair until college, and now it's out of necessity and not frivolity that I dye my dumb roots. It's also super short since high school, so thank goodness for name tags because that's how I felt about some of my fellow graduates!

And then we met up for dinner. We had to get pictures, and most of the time my photographer (aka Chris) hid behind the real photographer (a fellow graduate that's been photographing professionally since junior high...show off). Needless to say, I had to put a few versions of pretty much the same pose because there's always someone looking away, talking, or blinking.

I'm also regretting my hairstyle choice of trying to go curly that night. One side of my hair worked, but after having it curled at the salon, to sleeping on it, straightening it for the picnic then trying to curl it afterwards, it resulted in a bad hair day on the main side of my head that REFUSED to curl normal. Sigh

As mentioned before, this is only a small portion of the 310 students I graduated with, which for small-town Rigby is a pretty large class.
It was fun swapping stories and adding phone numbers or mental notes to post on facebook. If you are on the fence about going to your own high school reunion, no matter what year (5, 10, 30!) I highly recommend that you go.

It's still a little hard to say the over-priced tickets were worth it, but the only things I regret from the get-together are that I didn't see as many faces as I wanted to and should have kept my hair straight. I guess I'll just have to wait for the 20 year to make up for it (hopefully I don't get fat or saggy...or both!)

3 comments:

Because of Love said...

My 10 yr is in August in Michigan... Not going. But yay for class of 99!

Slamdunk said...

Interesting thoughts on reunions and I am glad that you had a good time at yours. I am not as brave as you are and don't see myself ever going back--it helps that I live so far away anyway.

I have reconnected with a couple of old hs friends and we send regular emails and Christmas cards, but maybe someday I'll go back. Maybe I am just too afraid that I will want to relive the past by doing reunions and such--wow, that is a scary thought trying to fit back into my hs football uniform.

Good post and happy 4th.

Scott and Stacia said...

If we could bring our kids to my reunion I think I would go. The tickets are so expensive because it is free bar. So I get to pay for other people to get drinks--lame!!