Friday, December 19, 2008

A Christmas Party with Scrooge McDuck

Surprisingly, I'm not talking about any of the husbands when I mention Scrooge. Nope. I'm referring to the fact that the men totally wailed on the ladies during Catch Phrase and Melissa needs to read Charles Dickens (I TOLD you I would blog about it!).

Well, after a scrumptious feast of soups and rolls (I sampled everything, and it was ALL delicious!), we let the kids continue their romping in the Harris fun house, and the couples all decided to try a boy vs. girl game of Catch Phrase.

I could already feel the extra estrogen seep into me as I started to link minds with the other mommies as we gathered in a circle. We have this in the bag, I thought to myself smugly. There's no way the guys can beat us now that we have the feminine mystique going for us. Truly we know more about how to describe things to each other than any of these fellows that have only met a few times.

Yeah, right.

Apparently this supposed link that I thought we all shared by spending time together at Music Makers and Playgroups never actually led to anything intelligent, so we started the game out stuttering and sputtering our thoughts out, gesticulating to try to make the words come out, but the beeper from that cursed little machine took precedence and suddenly the hubbies were up a point. What?! How did THAT happen?! Well, it's just because it wasn't my turn.

As I was handed the beeping Catch Phrase contraption, it went to Ebeneezer Scrooge. Hah! It can't get any easier than this during a Christmas party! Say good-bye to your ONE point, men!

I casually said, "He says, 'Bah, humbug." Then waited for the instantaneous response. And waited...then waited some more until a few seconds had lapsed and I stared wide-eyed as the women-folk that I thought I was so mentally linked too, only to find more stuttering and sputtering of, "Oh, I know this!" "It's that one man...you know..." then Melissa piped in, "Scrooge McDuck!"

Scrooge McDuck?! I trusted my oh so brilliant team to be spouting off DISNEY CHARACTERS?! My mouth fell open and I couldn't believe it. I was so dumbfounded that I blurted, "Have you never even HEARD of Charles Dickens?!" Finally they muddled their way out of the right answer, we passed the Catch Phrase on in which the guys got it by the first clue, then it was our turn...and lost another point. Even a "best two out of three" didn't work out for the womenfolk. I wanted to go 3 out of 5, but the babies were hungry and tired, the toddlers had eaten a little too much sugar, and the hubbies were ready to get home and to bed.

Scrooge McDuck.

BAH, HUMBUG!!!!!



5 comments:

Andrew and Marie Harris said...

The boys must have been cheating! We need to have a rematch.

Jen and Sam said...

I wouldn't say they womped on us it was pretty close!!! I told you it wouldn't be good if we did the category that we did! Next time we'll get them.

The Duckers said...

HA,HA,HA! May I remind you that I have 2 boys. I have them day in and day out and we watch a lot of shows together. One of their favorites at this time of year is 'Mickey's Once upon a Christmas' and 'Mickey's Twice upon a Christmas!'
The game is to blurt out the first thing that comes to your mind. I was only trying to help, and this is how you repay my servitude to our team!?! At least I was saying things. If you remember, the WHOLE team was silent for a time, NOT JUST ME! Besides we did get a GREAT laugh out of it! Isn't that what this game is all about?
I agree with Jen! We should've stuck with household items. I'm up for a rematch anytime!! We should start practicing at playgroup!

ps
Of course I've heard of Ebenezer Scrooge. PLEASE!!! Although I will admit I don't have a mind that remembers everything, and I didn't remember that Charles Dickens wrote about it. THAT'S MY ONLY DOWNFALL!!!!!!!!

take that :o)

Natalie said...

All right, Melissa. You make a valid point about losing brain power when the movie variety is usually animated and randomly starts to sing.

I had an absolute blast, though I still can't get over that we got beat by the hubbies, so we'll have to plan another family get-together soon so we can all redeem ourselves (and choose a better category).

Merry Christmas to all and to all a GOOD NIGHT!

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

HA HA That is awesome!! HA HA