Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Food Challenge: Leftovers



Yesterday I accepted my own personal Food Network Challenge as I tried to make dinner entirely based off of left-overs or items already in my pantry. Competition was intense, but the end result blew everyone else out of the water.

Well, maybe not.
It wasn't really a fair fight since my competitors were half my size and cooking plastic food in a pint-sized kitchen located in Eliza's room. Plus, going to the grocery store with three kids 4 and under in tow for just a few items isn't the funnest way to spend time when we're all already hungry.
I had a lot of left-over items from Bountiful Baskets that needed to get used, so I put my onion, mango, peach, and anaheim pepper with a garlic clove, cilantro and a bit of salt in the food processor.


The result?




Peach mango salsa and ate half of it while trying to figure out what to go with it. SO good!

In the end, I made nachos after raiding the fridge, deep freeze, and pantry. Not only did it taste amazing, I was able to "get rid of" leftovers that I had no clue what to do with since a lot of them weren't enough for one serving. Combined it made a fabulous meal that was quick and easy, and even had a nice dose of healthy mixed in that tasted delicious.

Now to figure out what to do with English cucumbers, broccoli, and anaheim peppers. Maybe a cold salad of some sort?!

No comments: