I get so excited every time I see its shiny cover depicting a memory from the past about real people, though now the only time I really have to read it is when I'm paying a visit in the quietest room of the house (big guess where THAT is!).
Anyways, I discovered this excerpt in their "Over the Backfence" section that has "amusing morsels and bits of wisdom...overheard and read here and there."
Taken from the Bride's Receipt Book a reader had in her collection of cookbooks on "How to Preserve a Husband":
"Be careful in your selection. Do not choose too young, and take only such as have been reared in a good, moral atmosphere. When once decided upon and selected, let that part remain forever settled, and then give your entire thought to preparation for domestic use.
"Some insist on keeping them in a pickle, while others are constantly getting them in hot water. This only makes them sour, hard and sometimes bitter.
"Even poor varieties may be made sweet, tender and good by garnishing them with patience, well sweetened with smiles and flavored with kisses to taste. Then wrap in a mantle of charity, keep warm with a steady fire of domestic devotion, and serve with peaches and cream. When thus prepared, they will keep for years."
This humorous take on husband-rearing reminded me of what a successful marriage is about. I get really hard on myself when I don't see eye to eye with Chris, and think that I've failed him as a wife. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that the simple, daily things like hugs and kisses, words of encouragement instead of malice, and patience a happy husband make.
It's SO successful, it's hard to believe that it's so simple!
I read this when I really needed a reminder of how wonderful my husband truly is. I challenge any wife that had the gumption to read this entire (very long) post to take the time today to tell your husband WHY you married him, and find something to compliment him on. It's not as hard as you think, and it's amazing the results!
Here's a glimpse of how lucky I am:
Sometimes it's hard for Daddy to get a kiss from Mommy!
Chris and Seth are TOTAL boys! This was Chris's photo shoot location when we had family pictures taken. He's so manly! Grrrrrrr..... ;)
Chris is one of the most loving and snuggly fathers I've ever met. As you can tell, the kids LOVE their Daddy!

It doesn't matter how I look, Chris tells me I'm beautiful.

Enough hugs, let's play!
I love you, Christopher



1 comment:
that is awesome :)
Yes, it is nice that we have so much knowledge being in the church we are in too :)
Post a Comment